Monday, May 18, 2015

Workbench Update

I’ve really made a lot of progress on the workbench.  This weekend, I finished the four stretchers and began cutting the big mortises for them in the legs.  I had to improvise a “table” for my bench top drill press to accommodate the long, heavy legs, but once I got everything set up, it went smoothly.  I’m hogging out the mortises with a 1-1/4” Forstner bit, then squaring the corners by hand.  I’ve used a couple of different types of Forstner bits, but for this project I bought a saw-tooth bit from Lee Valley.  WOW--what a difference it makes.  It cuts fast and clean, clears chips well and doesn’t bog down.  Should have all the mortises done in no time.

98 Days | 104 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-58830821-1