Tuesday, May 19, 2015

3D Tic-Tac-Toe Game

My son asked me to make this game for him.  He provided the design.  It’s a fun game, but he usually beats me.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Workbench Update

I’ve really made a lot of progress on the workbench.  This weekend, I finished the four stretchers and began cutting the big mortises for them in the legs.  I had to improvise a “table” for my bench top drill press to accommodate the long, heavy legs, but once I got everything set up, it went smoothly.  I’m hogging out the mortises with a 1-1/4” Forstner bit, then squaring the corners by hand.  I’ve used a couple of different types of Forstner bits, but for this project I bought a saw-tooth bit from Lee Valley.  WOW--what a difference it makes.  It cuts fast and clean, clears chips well and doesn’t bog down.  Should have all the mortises done in no time.

98 Days | 104 Hours

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Sand Paper Storage

A couple of years ago I put together this sandpaper storage bin. Three shelf widths to organize full sheets, half or quarter sheets, and sanding belts and blocks.
I used some scrap MDF, which I wouldn’t use again for something like this. The fibers in the dadoes grab the shelves, making it very hard to slide them in and out. But, at least I don’t have a stack of sandpaper falling all over my bench.
Sand Paper Storage

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Paper Crafting Workstation



I built this crafting station for my wife Shannon a couple of years ago.  Customized dimensions to fit her paper crafting supplies (and her).  It’s a simple case construction, made from melamine laminated MDF purchased from the home center, and assembled with knock-down hardware, with dowels for alignment and a little extra stability.  One new thing for me on this project was edge lamination.  I used the pre-glued edge banding, and just put it against the edges and ironed it on--don’t tell Shannon I used the iron form the laundry room Smile

Done with the Legs

The workbench is moving pretty fast now.  This week I finished building all four legs.  After the glue up, they needed a little tweaking to flatten the glue joints.  I don’t have a jointer, and didn’t want to spend the time just now making a planer sled.  Instead, I used some blue tape and thin cardboard strips to shim one side of each leg.

A few passes through the planer with the shimmed side down.
Then I removed the shims and planed the other side until the leg was flat and square all around.  A few minutes tweaking the tenons, then cut them all to final length.


84 Days | 83 Hours

UA-58830821-1